The first day should be simple. Exciting even.
Well that's how it started. And it ended with me imagining setting kitchen on fire. On purpose.
The cooking was straightforward. Almost, dare I say, easy. But presentation, photography, and making the food look as good as it tastes, is hard. So hard that it took me 5 times to "swirl chocolate syrup" in a damn wine glass (see Mud Slide recipe below). And it still didn't look good. I took over 100 pictures and I think maybe 5 are okay, the rest make me cringe. And really, how am I supposed to make steak and pilaf look good? All brown dish = disaster for the eyes.
Either way, here are my first day's results.
*Remember, because Applebee's likes to keep secrets, the Original Applebee's Nutritional Information is based off the Top Secrets Recipe®.
Applebee's: Almond Rice Pilaf
2 tbsp Light I Can't Believe It's Not Butter
3/4 uncooked brown rice
2 1/4 cup chicken broth
pinch of salt
1/4 cup slivered almonds
1/4 cup celery
1/4 cup onion
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1. Melt 1 tablespoon of I Can't Believe It's Not Butter. Add rice to butter and brown over medium heat in saucepan.
2. Once lightly brown, add broth and salt to rice. Cover the pan and reduce heat to low and let simmer for 20 minutes, or until most of the broth is absorbed.
3. In skillet, melt the remaining tablespoon of butter. Add almond and let brown for 1 - 2 minutes. Then add celery and onion.
4. Once celery and onion are softened and almonds are browned, add all to the rice. Add parsley. Cook for another 2 -3 minutes.
Serving Size: 4
Nutritional Information Per Serving: 196 calories, 6g fat, 21g carbs, and 5g protein
*Original Applebee's Nutritional Information Per Serving: 296 calories, 13g fat, 40g carbs, 6g protein
Applebee's Bourbon Street Steak:
2 4 ounce top sirloin steaks
2 tbsp Worchestershire sauce
2 tbsp soy sauce
4 teaspoon chili powder
4 teaspoon garlic powder
2 teaspoon paprika
2 teaspoon pepper
2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon oregano
2 cups water
2 teaspoon Light I Can't Believe Its Not Butter
pinch of garlic powder
1 teaspoon Light I Can't Believe Its Not Butter
2 cups sliced white onion
2 cups sliced mushrooms 1tbsp water
pinch of salt
pinch of pepper
1.Combine all ingredients for marinade in bowl. Cover and store steak in marinate bowl overnight.
2. If you have a grill, grill steak on each side for 3 - 5 minutes. If not use large skillet.
3. In skillet, melt 1 teaspoon of light butter. Add mushrooms, onions, water, salt and pepper in skillet. Saute for 3 - 5 minutes on medium heat.
4. In small bowl, melt 2 teaspoons of light butter with garlic powder in microwave for 15 - 20 seconds.
5. Once steak is done, top with sauteed veggies and garlic butter.
Serving Size: 2
Nutritional Information Per Serving: 226calories, 9g fat, 8g carbs, and 28g protein
*Original Applebee's Nutritional Information Per Serving: 694 calories, 45g fat, 8g carbs, 68g protein
Applebee's Mud Slide
1/2 cup light vanilla ice cream
1 ounce Kahlua
2 tbsp fat free cool whip
2 tbsp sugar free chocolate syrup
1. In blender, blend ice cream and Kahlua.
2. In small wine class, swirl chocolate syrup around inside of glass. (damn this step)
3. Pour drink into blender. Top with cool whip and a bit more chocolate syrup.
Serving Size: 1
Nutritional Information Per Serving: 231calories, 0g fat, 44g carbs, and 3g protein
*Original Applebee's Nutritional Information Per Serving: 827 calories, 30g fat, 111g carbs,12g protein